August 16, 2022
Food Preservation Scavenger Hunt: 10AM-1PM.
Game - How Do you Preserve That?: 10AM-1PM.
“Learn More” with Dr. Andrea Field - How Does it Work? Preservation Matching Game: 10:30AM-11:30AM.
Preservation Demonstration - Pickling: 11:30AM-12:30PM and 2-3PM.
Naper Settlement, IL 60540
Included in General Admission
Adventures Into the Past - Food Preservation Scavenger Hunt, Games, & Pickling
Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Watch historical demonstrations, make crafts, and learn about history at our on-site activities from May through October. These activities are included in general museum admission at Naper Settlement. All activities are subject to change without notice.
- Food Preservation Scavenger Hunt: Enjoy a scavenger hunt about food preservation with clues hidden around the Log House, Halfway House, Pine Craig Mansion, Daniels House, and Building Naperville exhibit. Scavenger hunt materials will be handed out at Halfway House.
- Game - How Do you Preserve That?: Using fake foods (potatoes, corns, beans, etc.), guests will be asked to match with the best preservation technique (for example, corn can be dried).
- “Learn More” with Dr. Andrea Field - How Does it Work? Preservation Matching Game: Using historic photographs and materials, guests will match preservation techniques together (for example, an ice house with an ice box). We will also talk about how each preservation strategy works to keep food from decaying.
- Preservation Demonstration - Pickling: Learn about one of the oldest methods of food preservation.
- Time: 11:30AM-12:30PM and 2-3PM