Stonecarver’s Shop - 1880s

Quarrying was a major industry in nineteenth-century Naperville –a town built on a bed of limestone.

Three limestone quarries produced thousands of tons of stone, supplying durable material for building construction and jobs for skilled craftsmen like Henry Miller. Miller opened his stonecutting business in downtown Naperville in 1884. A small shop like Miller's overlapped several specialties, doing whatever work the market demanded according to the seasons. When the quarries closed in cold weather, he craved fireplace hearths and mantels for local homes. Tombstones and monuments in Naperville cemeteries show Miller's precise and intricate artistry.

This shop built in the late nineteenth century was Henry Miller's stonecarving business. A tailor later purchased Miller's building, which eventually became local favorite Andy's popcorn stand. Originally located on Main Street, it was moved to Naper Settlement in 1969.

Stonecarver’s Shop with men standing in front of it  Stonecarver’s Shop present day  Working table with clay and stone inside of Stonecarvers Shop

Next: Firehouse