Become part of history! Children, teens, and adults of all ages can share the story of Naperville as an education volunteer at Naper Settlement. Whether you enjoy wearing historical costumes, demonstrating activities from the past, or simply telling a good story, volunteering at Naper Settlement is a great opportunity to give back to your community.
Contact Guest & Volunteer Services at 630.420.6104 or email email@example.com today to join in a fun, rewarding, and interactive adventure!
Are you currently a 4th-7th grader who loves sharing history, performing, or giving back to your community?
Junior volunteers invite visitors to learn about children’s history by dressing like children of the past and playing games, doing chores, and demonstrating other activities from the 1800s. Through the Summer Season (April through October), our volunteers will improve their public speaking skills, learn skills from the 1800s, and, most of all, have fun bringing history to life.
Applications are accepted year-round, and training begins in the winter months.
Requirements to Participate:
- Must be a current 4th-7th grader by January
- Wear historically appropriate clothing (i.e. overalls or dresses)
- Attend informational and training meetings in February and March
- Commit to the scheduling requirements. (One three-hour shift in April, May, September, and October; two three-hour shifts in June, July, and August.
Building Interpreters tell the stories of the past and how they relate to the present inside the historic museum buildings. Through their interpretation, these volunteers provide an exciting and engaging experience that stimulates conversation and promotes an appreciation of Naperville’s history.
- Interpreter volunteers must be at least 18 years old
- Have the option of wearing 19th century clothing
- Applications are accepted year-round. The winter training season begins in late January/early February. The summer season training begins in early June.
There are two service options for Building Interpreters:
- Two 3 ½- hour shifts per month, weekday or weekend, April through October (Summer season)
- Four 3 ½- hour shifts per month, weekday or weekend, in June, July and August
During the Summer Season, the museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m.
Additional volunteer opportunities are available during the winter season (November through March). Training is required for these roles. Please email our Volunteer Coordinators or complete our online Volunteer Application.
Interested in engaging with visitors of all ages in fun learning activities?
History Connectors provide Naper Settlement visitors with hands-on educational experiences through a variety of activity carts and stations during our open season. History Connectors can help with Camp Naper summer camp (approved by Camp Supervisor), scout programs, special programs, and special Playscape programs.
- History Connectors range in age from teens in 8th grade through adult
- Volunteers are non-costumed
- Applications are accepted year-round. The first training sessions begin in January, with a second training in early May
- Two service options:
- April through October: two 3 ½- hour shifts per month (weekend or weekday)
- Summer Season (June, July, and August): four 3 ½ hour shifts per month (weekend or weekday)
During the Summer Season, the museum is open Tuesday through Saturday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m.