Click to Home
Home Employment Contact Us

Go To Search

Landscaping & Grounds
Flowers by a lamp postOriginal Buildings
Naper Settlement is located on 12 acres that were originally part of the George Martin estate. There were pine trees original to the site; hence, the mansion and grounds were originally called "Pine Craig." The site's two original buildings are an 1883 mansion and a carriage house, which underwent a complete restoration from 2000-2003.

Additional Buildings
After the Naperville Heritage Society was founded in 1969, they moved a Civil War-era church to the site and also adapted a former popcorn stand into a stonecarver's shop. As buildings were moved to the site, volunteers planted trees and created gardens. Through the years, additional trees and perennials were added to the site, creating a lush yet manicured look that enhances the historic nature of the 30 structures now on site.

Environmental pathways and landscaping
A major roadways and stormwater management project in 2011 has transformed the grounds into an eco-friendly environment. The brick paths are permeable pavers, which are surrounded by rain gardens, a bioswale and other features that help manage and purify stormwater. Read more about our state-of-art project.

Continued Landscaping
On a continuing basis, several local gardening groups volunteer their efforts to follow the developments in the Master Landscape Plan, enhance the plantings and add special gardening touches that create beautiful flowers, colors and textures all year long along the pathways of the village.

Garden Guide
View the Naper Settlement's Garden Guide


Find us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterYouTubeRSSFlickr
Contact UsPrint
Email Page