Mostly Sunny, 60°F
Collections & Research
Artifact of the Month
Burlington Park Photograph
The Burlington Railroad opened Burlington Park in Naperville in about 1890. On summer weekends as many as 10,000 people a day would take the train out from Chicago to visit the park. A round-trip ticket cost 50 cents for adults, 25 cents for children, and included park admission. Trains ran directly to a platform built at the park.
The DuPage River was dammed to create Burlington Lake and boats were available to rent. Additionally, the 60-acre park had a baseball park, racetrack, dance pavilion, bowling alley, merry-go-round and a large dining and refreshment hall.
Burlington Park closed in 1899. In 1922 the DuPage County Forest Preserve acquired the property and it was opened as Burlington Park Forest Preserve. It remains open today.
523 S. Webster St., Naperville, IL 60540 • 630.420.6010 • Fax: 630.305.4044
Powered by CivicPlus
Administered by the Naperville Heritage Society
Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums