Mostly Clear, 57°F
Collections & Research
Artifact of the Month
Camp McDowell Postcards
In March 1933 President Franklin Roosevelt proposed the Civilian Conservation Corps to provide relief for unemployed American workers. From 1933-1942 the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) put more than three million young men, aged 18 to 25, to work in the nation’s forests and parks. They planted trees, built flood barriers, fought fires and maintained roads and trails.
Camp McDowell was a CCC site built in Naperville in 1934. It was the second CCC site built in DuPage County and was in operation until 1941. Six wooden barracks were built in the McDowell Grove Forest Preserve to house the hundreds of men who would live there and work to build improvements in several of DuPage County’s forest preserves. The camp provided housing for 200 workers.
523 S. Webster St., Naperville, IL 60540 • 630.420.6010 • Fax: 630.305.4044
Powered by CivicPlus
Administered by the Naperville Heritage Society
Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums