Collections & Research
Artifact of the Month
Edward Hospital Booklet
Located 30 miles west of the city of Chicago, Naperville was a prime location for a sanatorium used by patients with tuberculosis (TB) and other respiratory illnesses. Country air was enjoyed by patients of all ages in the Edward Sanatorium, founded by Eudora Hull Gaylord Spalding in 1907 as a memorial to her husband Edward Gaylord. As medications and treatments for TB changed, the sanatorium was less used. The growing city of Naperville needed a hospital and the old “san” was the ideal location. Edward Sanatorium reopened as Edward Hospital in October 1955. This booklet illustrates the proposed hospital district and dates to December 1958.
523 S. Webster St., Naperville, IL 60540 • 630.420.6010 • Fax: 630.305.4044
Powered by CivicPlus
Administered by the Naperville Heritage Society
Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums